Friday, August 23, 2013

Book Review: This Girl: A Novel by Colleen Hoover


This Girl is the retelling of Slammed from Will's POV and then some. The "then some" is the part I enjoyed most.

The majority of the book is Will telling his version of things from the day he met Layken. He tells this to Layken while they are on their honeymoon. She wants to hear it all. It's not just Slammed rehashed, but also tidbits of events that Layken knew nothing about at the time (and her sometimes immature response). It's also fun to hear Will's internal struggles with all the obstacles they had faced in Slammed. And he has his moments of frailty as well.

There's still poetry in This Girl.
"...respect the hand that I was dealt. And to be grateful I was even dealt a hand."
If you haven't read Slammed, I highly recommend it. It was touching, sweet, and made me cry. And, essential reading before picking up This Girl.

I loved this line:
"Then this girl completely shatters the window to my soul and crawls inside."

The best part of This Girl was the last 6% of the book. It is written more "traditional Colleen Hoover style" than the rest. Will and Lake return from their honeymoon, and instead of waltzing down memory lane together, they are "real time" and making new memories together, not only them, but Eddie, Gavin, Kel and Caulder. They are all delightful and funny.

I loved this line too:
"I guess in a way, we all changed each other's lives."

While I loved the first two books in this series more, this is a great addition to wrap it all up. Worth the read.

Four stars.

Links:

Colleen Hoover's Website
This Girl on Amazon
This Girl at B&N
More by Colleen Hoover

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I like the use of quotes from the book.

    ReplyDelete