Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Seven Pounds Under Goal Weight

I've had an ideal goal weight I've been trying to maintain my entire adult life. Usually, I have been two to five pounds above. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I became frustrated because my pants were too tight and I didn't like how I looked. I tried not eating sweets, or at least cut back on them. I tried exercise. Those things helped, but it wasn't the solution for me. It didn't get me to my goal.

Today I am seven pounds UNDER goal weight, some days, even ten pounds under. I haven't been this weight since high school. I'm not throwing out my exact numbers because I'm a certain height and build, and what's good for me might not be good for someone else. What's important is having a goal and meeting or exceeding it.

How did I accomplish this? Exceeding my goal?

FASTING.

Before you get scared, it’s not as bad as it sounds. It’s not a complete fast with no food for days on end. It’s calorie restriction for only two days a week. I eat only 500 calories, usually on Tuesday and Wednesday, when it doesn’t impact weekend plans. They are supposed to be two sequential days for the most benefit--not only weight loss, but improved cholesterol. That’s 500 calories each day (for women; men eat 600). 500 calories of anything. Of course, healthy choices are better, but I’ve been known to have a Mocha and an egg roll for my entire day’s allotment. The other five days of the week--no restrictions. I don’t go crazy, but if I want cookies, cake, or sweets. I eat it. Basically, it’s normal eating for five days then two days calorie restricted, and that’s all it took. Don’t get me wrong. I do get hungry on those calorie-restricted days. It's easier if I'm very busy on those days. I sip hot tea to fill in the gap. I struggle a bit while fixing dinner for the rest of the family, but it’s been worth it to feel good about how I look, feel, and how my clothes fit!

How did I figure this out? Well, I watched a show on TV, a documentary about various forms of fasting hosted by Michael Mosley. In fact, he’s got a book out about it called The FastDiet. I haven’t read the book, but here’s the link. Just a quick glance at the synopsis seems to recap what I’ve just told you here. It worked for me. It might just work for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment